Please note: The logos shown below are the ones officially registered with Elections Canada by the individual political parties and link to officially registered information about the parties on the Elections Canada website.
It’s time. Vote Green: In 2008, nearly one million Canadians voted Green. Nearly one million Canadians voted for a better future, for a positive vision of Canada.
We are not a one-issue party: The Green Party is the only party in Canada with a full and comprehensive vision for our future available every day. We do not wait until elections to unveil what we believe in. Vision Green is on our website, available 365 days a year, every year. The Green Party is the only opposition party to have tabled our deficit cutting plan with the Parliamentary Budget Office, to ensure we did our homework and our numbers will hold.
We are more than you think: You are in for a nice surprise. Read our platform and find that voice for sensible, smart politics that you have been longing to hear.
If you are tired of simply voting against things, if you want something you can vote for, read this platform.
If you are looking for a serious, realistic and sensible option to the old line parties and old school politics, read this platform.
If you are looking for an economic, social and environmental vision for Canada that isn’t just focused on winning the next election, read this platform.
Canadians have disengaged from their own democracy because election after election we have been offered negative politicking in place of a real vision for our country. There is an alternative.
In this platform you will find a vision for a modern, smart economy that reduces the deficit, creates new jobs that won’t be gone tomorrow, and doesn’t rely on generating pollution to generate energy. We see a future Canada with vibrant, well-educated and motivated citizens, living in healthy communities, eating safe and healthy food, and enjoying a life-giving, healthy natural world.
In this platform you will find a renewal of Canadian democracy. You will find a return to dignity and respect in politics. You will find reforms to put power back where it belongs – in your hands.
If you think it’s time to turn over a new leaf in Canada, turn the page and get inspired.
Green Parties around the world, while independent of each other, share common values as expressed in the Charter of the Global Greens.
- Organization: The Green Party of Canada continually strives to demonstrate the importance of our values by giving them practical expression in the organization and practices of the party.
- Green Values<: Green Parties around the world share common values as expressed in the Charter of the Global Greens. The policies of the Green Party of Canada are based on six fundamental principles.
- Leader: Elizabeth May: Elizabeth May was elected leader of the Green Party at the 2006 convention on August 25.
- Federal Council: Council ensures that the decisions of the party are duly carried out.
- Shadow Cabinet: The Green Party Shadow Cabinet is made up of experts in various policy areas.
- Green Party Constitution: Adopted September 1988. Amended August 1996, August 1998, August 2000, August 2002, August 2004. Revised constitution and bylaws proposed by the Constitutional Review Committee and adopted by an 84% affirmative vote in a mail-in vote of all members on August 24, 2006.
Green Parties around the world share common values as expressed in the Charter of the Global Greens. The policies of the Green Party of Canada are based on six fundamental principles:
- Ecological Wisdom: We acknowledge that human beings are part of the natural world and we respect the specific value of all forms of life, including non-human species.
- Non-Violence: We declare our commitment to non-violence and strive for a culture of peace and cooperation between states.
- Social Justice: We assert that the key to social justice is the equitable distribution of resources to ensure that all have full opportunities for personal and social development.
- Sustainability: We recognize the scope for the material expansion of society within the biosphere, and the need to maintain biodiversity through the use of renewable resources.
- Participatory Democracy: We strive for a democracy in which all citizens have the right to express their views, and are able to directly participate in decisions which affect their lives.
- Respect for Diversity: We honour and value equally the Earth’s biological and ecological diversity together with the context of individual responsibility toward all beings.
Short-form Name: Green Party
Party Leader: Ms. Elizabeth May
c/o Mr. Johan Hamels,
75 Albert Street, Suite 305
Ottawa ON K1P 5E7
Web site: www.greenparty.ca
Chief Agent: Green Party of Canada Fund
c/o Mr. John Anderson,
PO Box 997, Station B
Ottawa ON K1P 5R1
Auditor: Colby McGeachy Prof.
Corp./Porter Hétu Int.
c/o N. Dawn
PO Box 970
Almonte ON K0A 1A0
Full name of the division: Green Party of Canada in British Columbia
Chief Executive Officer of the division: Chief Executive Officer of the division
Mr. Bruce McArthur
301-287 West Hastings Street
Vancouver BC V6B 1H7