Please note: The logos shown below are the ones officially registered with Elections Canada by the individual political parties and link to officially registered information about the parties on the Elections Canada website.
Stephen Harper unveiled his “Here for Canada” Conservative policy platform. The platform provides Canadians with a prudent low-tax plan to protect and create jobs by completing our recovery from the global economic recession. “Here for Canada” commits to eliminating the deficit by the 2014-2015 fiscal year without cutting transfer payments to individuals or to the provinces. And it contains concrete measures to secure Canada’s borders and keep our streets and neighbourhoods safe.
“Our Conservative Government has been consistent — we’re ‘Here for Canada,'” said Prime Minister Harper. “We’re taking action on the priorities of Canadians who work hard and play by the rules, and we’ve steered our country through the worst global economic recession since the 1930s. The next phase of our Economic Action Plan will guide us through the recovery. During this campaign, we have told Canadians about the low-tax plan that we will deliver when the budget is balanced, and we remain true to those commitments in this platform.”
The “Here for Canada” plan focuses on five key priorities:
- Creating jobs through training, trade and low taxes.
- Supporting families through our Family Tax Cut and more support for seniors and caregivers.
- Eliminating the deficit by 2014-2015 by controlling spending and cutting waste.
- Making our streets safe through new laws to protect children and the elderly.
- Standing on guard for Canada by investing in the development of Canada’s North, cracking down on human smuggling and strengthening the Canadian Armed Forces.
Canada is emerging from the global recession as one of the world’s top-performing advanced economies. Throughout the global crisis of the past two years, the world has looked to Canada as a model and an inspiration. Through the Economic Action Plan, Stephen Harper’s Government is making the necessary investments to protect Canadians and create jobs now, while laying a strong foundation for long-term economic growth. Our low-tax plan is helping businesses create jobs. And we’re reducing taxes on hard-working Canadian families, because we understand that household budgets are tight.
But there is more to be done. Now is not the time for instability, or for reckless, opportunistic experiments. The global economy remains fragile, and Canadians remain concerned about their jobs and their children’s future. Stephen Harper has a plan to meet these challenges — a plan that is working — and we need to stay the course.
On March 22, the Stephen Harper Government presented the 2011 Budget, the Next Phase of Canada’s Economic Action Plan, to Canadians. Stephen Harper’s low-tax plan for jobs and growth includes practical measures to complete our recovery and strengthen the financial security of Canadian workers, seniors and families. It also contains a plan to balance the federal budget. We make a solid commitment in our platform to eliminate the deficit a full year earlier than forecasted by reducing waste and overhead in government.
“Canadians face a clear choice in this election: between, on one hand, the opportunistic and reckless Michael Ignatieff-led Coalition, with its high-tax agenda that would stall our recovery, kill jobs and set hard-working families back; and, on the other hand, principled leadership and stable national government with our low-tax plan for jobs and growth,” said Harper. “Conservatives are Here for Canada — a Canada strong and free, a country of opportunity for all, proud of its history and confident of its future. We ask Canadians to support and join us in taking the next steps forward in building this great country for our children and grandchildren.”
The Conservative Party will be guided in its constitutional framework and its policy basis by the following principles:
- A balance between fiscal accountability, progressive social policy and individual rights and responsibilities;
- Build a national coalition of people who share these beliefs and who reflect the regional, cultural and socio-economic diversity of Canada;
- Develop this coalition, embracing our differences and respecting our traditions, yet honoring a concept of Canada as the greater sum of strong parts;
- The Conservative Party will operate in a manner accountable and responsive to its members;
- A belief in loyalty to a sovereign and united Canada governed in accordance with the Constitution of Canada, the supremacy of democratic parliamentary institutions and the rule of law;
- A belief in the equality of all Canadians;
- A belief in the freedom of the individual, including freedom of speech, worship and assembly;
- A belief in our constitutional monarchy, the institutions of Parliament and the democratic process;
- A belief in the federal system of government as the best expression of the diversity of our country, and in the desirability of strong provincial and territorial governments;
- A belief that English and French have equality of status, and equal rights and privileges as to their use in all institutions of the Parliament and Government of Canada;
- A belief that the best guarantors of the prosperity and well-being of the people of Canada are:
- The freedom of individual Canadians to pursue their enlightened and legitimate self-interest within a competitive economy;
- The freedom of individual Canadians to enjoy the fruits of their labour to the greatest possible extent; and
- The right to own property;
- A belief that a responsible government must be fiscally prudent and should be limited to those responsibilities which cannot be discharged reasonably by the individual or others;
- A belief that it is the responsibility of individuals to provide for themselves, their families and their dependents, while recognizing that government must respond to those who require assistance and compassion;
- A belief that the purpose of Canada as a nation state and its government, guided by reflective and prudent leadership, is to create a climate wherein individual initiative is rewarded, excellence is pursued, security and privacy of the individual is provided and prosperity is guaranteed by a free competitive market economy;
- A belief that the quality of the environment is a vital part of our heritage to be protected by each generation for the next;
- A belief that Canada should accept its obligations among the nations of the world;
- A belief that good and responsible government is attentive to the people it represents and has representatives who at all times conduct themselves in an ethical manner and display integrity, honesty and concern for the best interest of all;
- A belief that all Canadians should have reasonable access to quality health care regardless of their ability to pay; and
- A belief that the greatest potential for achieving social and economic objectives is under a global trading regime that is free and fair.
Stephen Harper’s Conservative Party is focused on the economy, supporting hard-working Canadians and their families, and completing and securing the economic recovery have introduced the Next Phase of Canada’s Economic Action Plan: a low-tax plan for jobs and growth.
As part of that plan, we will:
- work to keep taxes low
- undertake additional targeted investments to support jobs and growth
- control government spending to stay on track to eliminate the deficit
- not cut transfer payments for crucial services like healthcare and education
- not give in to the Ignatieff/NDP/Bloc Québécois Coalition’s demands to impose massive tax hikes
Our Party is focused on securing our economic recovery, while improving the financial security of workers, seniors and families.
We have a responsible plan to achieve these goals — a plan that’s working and that needs to stay on track.
The Coalition is now faced with a choice: opportunism, or the principle of working together to secure our economic recovery.
The Harper Party is taking the right action for families in Canada and our economic recovery.
Party Leader: The Right Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.
c/o Mr. Dan Hilton
Suite 1204, 130 Albert Street
Ottawa ON K1P 5G4
Web site: www.conservative.ca
Chief Agent: Conservative Fund Canada
c/o Mr. Irving R. Gerstein, C.M., O.Ont., Chair
Suite 1204, 130 Albert Street
Ottawa ON K1P 5G4
Auditor: Deloitte & Touche LLP
c/o Mr. Michael S. Runia, CA, CPA
800–100 Queen Street
Ottawa ON K1P 5T8